Project Update 10.28.15

Posted By on Oct 28, 2015 in Uncategorized | 0 comments


I haven’t updated on my Art 451 project in a while so I will just fill it all in on this post.

I started working with Eye-con to figure out how to create an interactive projector. This proved very difficult. First I had trouble having Eye-con read my video files. Turns out it only likes AVI codecs with specific packaging. This took some troubleshooting to discover. After the proper video was loaded, however, Eye-con through an error stating that the “driver was not ready.” Serina and I did updates to the PC and looked for every possible solution but we could not find it.

Then Joe recommended I look into using Max MSP/Jitter. I emailed professor ¬†Perrotte but he never answered so I set out to learn Max on my own. It’s a much more difficult and complicated program than Eye-con however it’s much better written so it always works, and there is a¬†much larger community on the internet with tips, tricks, and tutorials. Max’s own help sections are very helpful as well.

Some early attempts:

Screen Shot 2015-10-19 at 3.18.38 PM

This was me playing around with jit.movie, the object that plays movies. The right side is a playlist.

Then I moved on to this method:

Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 9.59.07 PM

This method works well because I can “bang” one video (clicking that button; Max uses the term “bang” to mean send a quick signal) to start it and stop the other.

I have also downloaded a plugin called Synapse which allows a computer to read the OSC signals from an XBox connect and then route those signals into other programs. I got synapse to work with Max but had trouble trying to have the Kinect information “bang” the videos. I found another program that does something similar to Synapse called SimpleKinect which looks a little more user-friendly. I’m going to give this one a try next.